Have you recently arrived in Swansea? Or have been here for a while but have not been able to get help? Or have things changed?
We would like to offer you a warm welcome to the city.
We hope that you find it an enjoyable place to be.
We understand that it is not always easy to arrive in a new city. If you would like support, then why not call or us or come to see us?
The “A Better Welcome to Swansea” project helps to welcome refugees and asylum seekers and promote their well-being.
The project is a partnership between Swansea City of Sanctuary and Swansea Council for Voluntary Service (SCVS), funded by the National Lottery.
What does a mentor do?
A mentor is a trained volunteer who can help you to get the things that you need and want to do in Swansea. For example, they might:
- Show and explain bus routes.
- Show cheap places to shop.
- Give information on health and social care services.
- Help you to meet other people.
- Help you to find things that you like to do, for example, football, singing, arts, dance…
- Help you to find English classes and other training and volunteering opportunities.
Who can access a mentor?
Anyone who is an asylum seeker or refugee who feels that they need extra help to get to know Swansea or to find local opportunities.
What is involved?
What will happen:
- Find a time to meet and talk.
- Sessions with your mentor to help you get to know Swansea.
- One last session: to see what went well and what could be better.
- You can also become a mentor.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”- Benjamin Franklin
Participant leaflet V2 GH Aug 18 2_AR_Final (002) ARABIC
Participant leaflet V2 GH Aug 18 2_fa IR_Final (002) FARSI
Participant leaflet V2 GH Aug 18 2_KU_Final KURDISH SORANI
Participant leaflet V2 GH Aug 18 2_FR_Final (002) FRENCH
Participant leaflet V2 GH Aug 18 2_TI_Final TIGRINYA