This event has already taken place, and is shown here for information only.
How can we support refugees to rebuild their life in Wales?
For refugees and others who gain status here, employment is vital for rebuilding their life. As Wales works towards becoming the first Nation of Sanctuary, we invite you to join the conversation at our Refugee Employment Workshop on 4th April, 12:00-15:30, and feedback on our Pilot Exhibition at 15:30-16:30 at The Grand Multicultural Hub, SA1 3QJ
We are inviting public agencies, NGOs and employing businesses who wish to support refugee employment, people with lived experience, and other supporters of sanctuary in Swansea. We hope to establish an ongoing network which can maintain continued sharing of information and explore the potential for new initiatives and partnerships.
The networking event will take place during the pilot of our Travelling Exhibition: Home Away from Home. This exhibition is a celebration of all the people and organisations who have been involved in making Swansea a City of Sanctuary for over ten years. Discover the stories of those who have sought sanctuary in Swansea and how they have helped shape the city to become a more welcoming space.
The workshop aims to respond to our June 2021 conference, which focused on the themes of Improving Access to Higher Education and Employment for Forced Migrants. It attracted over 250 participants and featured several first-hand accounts from people with lived experience of the barriers to obtaining meaningful employment. The conference report included a number of practical recommendations for overcoming barriers to employment and career progression for refugees (reproduced below). We intend to follow these up with focused discussions on finding practical ways forward.
Recommendations for Policy Makers
- a) Support for all forms of career support and guidance
- b) Integration Support “from day one”
- c) Recognition of prior qualifications and informal skills
- d) Research on the career aspirations and needs of forced migrants
- e) Allowing more asylum seekers to work: a Welsh list of shortage occupations
- f) Funding for start-up businesses and training
Recommendations for communities
- a) ‘Holistic Integration Hubs’: career pathway support for forced migrants and information for potential employers
- b) Mentoring schemes
- c) Better networks and communication
- d) Volunteering linked to skills
Recommendations for employers
- a) Work opportunities and placements
- b) Businesses of Sanctuary