Swansea City of Sanctuary worked with Displaced People in Action between April 2015 and June 2018 to deliver the Big Lottery funded ‘Wales Cities of Sanctuary’ project. Now that the project has come to an end, you can read about its achievements here.
What was the ‘Wales Cities of Sanctuary’ project all about?
Long Term vision: For Wales to become a “Nation of Sanctuary”
Medium term vision: For Cardiff and Swansea to become cities which:
- Are welcoming to all
- Are proud to offer sanctuary to those fleeing violence or persecution
- Support and include asylum seekers and refugees
- Celebrate their contribution to city life.
- To transform the experience of asylum seekers and refugees living in cities across Wales for the better.
- To make Wales a better place for everyone by spreading a culture of welcome and recognising the contribution of all to our cities
What would our vision look like in practice?
Wherever people seeking sanctuary go in Welsh cities – e.g. schools, services, voluntary groups, businesses, faith and community groups, their own neighbourhoods and streets– they would find people who welcome them, understand why they are here, support them, and, most important of all include them actively as participants, volunteers and members.
“City of Sanctuary is what all its supporters do!”